Download a printable PDF version of Lauren’s resume: Callahan_Resume.
LaurenCallahan.com | Freelance Journalist | Various | August 2008 – Present
- Copy-edit manuscripts, columns and blogs for various clients (2014 – 2015).
- Produce original video pieces for online publication at regional news agencies and for personal use (2010 – 2016).
- Report and write freelance articles for online publication at national and regional news agencies (2008 – 2015).
Texas Education Agency | Information Specialist | Austin, TX | January 2014 – Present
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Agency and the Commissioner of Education, interacting daily with reporters to provide content for local, regional and national publications.
- Write and edit news releases, talking points and other written material produced within the division and Agency.
- Lead Agency’s social media activities, including creating original daily posts on Facebook and Twitter.
- Shoot and edit original video content for the Agency’s YouTube account and other publications, such as The Washington Post (April 2015).
- Monitor and support activities of the State Board of Education and the State Board for Educator Certification.
KLTV-TV (ABC) | Video Journalist | Tyler, TX | August 2011 – December 2013
- Pitched, reported, shot, wrote and edited daily original pieces for all newscasts.
- Covered breaking news for live broadcast and specialized in political, education and feature reporting.
- Published web stories and managed social media accounts to connect with viewers and promote newscasts.
Oakland North | Reporter | Oakland, CA | August 2009 – May 2011
- Pitched, reported, wrote and produced print, photography, video and multimedia projects for http://oaklandnorth.net, a hyperlocal website covering North Oakland.
KTVU Channel 2 News | Political Intern | Oakland, CA | May – September 2010
- Field-produced Political Editor Randy Shandobil’s daily political coverage, including the June 2010 primaries and the September 2010 KTVU – San Francisco Chronicle U.S. Senate Debate.
Informing Change | Publications Associate and Project Assistant | Berkeley, CA | July 2008 – July 2009
- Served as the company’s main editor and last eyes for all project deliverables.
- Created and designed charts and graphs for reports using original data compiled for each client.
- Managed all communications, including scheduling workflow, for 15 external projects simultaneously.
- Spearheaded a major redesign of the company website and wrote and distributed the company newsletter.
John Edwards for President | Scheduling Intern | May – July 2007
Office of Tex. Rep. Bob E. Griggs | Legislative Aide | January 2005 – June 2006
Office of U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison | Special Projects Intern | February – April 2006
The University of California at Berkeley | Master of Journalism | May 2011
The University of Texas at Austin | B.S., Communication Studies: Political Communication | B.A., English | May 2008
Computer: PC/Mac; Microsoft Office; Final Cut Pro; Edius; Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and AfterEffects; WordPress; HTML; CSS
Video: Sony DSR570 and HPX500; Panasonic PD170, HPX170 and AG-AC160AP; Canon 70D, 7D and Rebel series
Social Networking: Facebook; Twitter; Instagram; Vimeo; YouTube; LinkedIn; Pinterest